Loved this Freelance Switch post on Words which should be banned in 2012. Pedants click on the link and agree – but not before you’ve added to my own top 5 candidates of business terms which should be retired this year:
- Robust meaning ‘effective’ or ‘thorough’ – as in “we need to design a robust process for dealing with this issue”. Oddly it’s a public service favourite which doesn’t yet seem to have made the leap to the private sector, where they seem more concerned with…
- Granular/ granularity meaning ‘specific’ or ‘detailed’- as in: “we need to get to a really granular level of detail on this”.
- Thought leadership – unacceptable in any circumstances, ever.
- Engage with meaning ‘speak to’
- Stakeholder – incredibly ugly and much over-used. Irritatingly it’s also incredibly useful. Work to do to come up with a better alternative.